India’s first data driven social platform to enhance child growth and development during the critical stage of child development from birth date till 5 years!
Story Making With Magnetic Words
This is an activity to make your kid a better writer in an interesting and innovative way. In his famous rhyming book 'Green Eggs and Ham', Dr. Seuss creates an imaginative story out of only 50 small words. Challenge your child to do the same?
Requisites: ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ by Dr. Seuss, magnetic sheet with one blank side (found in craft stores), permanent markers, magnetic surface (refrigerator) and scissors.
1. Have your child go through and make a list of each word that is used in 'Green Eggs and Ham'. Instruct her to write each different word that is used only once. Tell her that there should be 50 words in her list.
2. On the magnetic sheet, help her write out those 50 words using permanent marker. She can either write the words all in uppercase or all in lowercase. Leave enough space between each word so that they are easy to cut out.
3. Have her carefully cut out all the words as separate pieces. Assit her if she needs help to do so.
4. Ask her to place all the words onto the magnetic surface.
5. Challenge her to make a story using these words! If she wishes, you can also make a few more magnetic words, such as one with your child’s name on it, in order to personalize her set of words. See if she can come home every day and spell out something about her day in magnets using the words of Dr. Seuss.
This inspired task turns into a fun activity to be played over and over again to reinforce her reading skills and creativity. She'll be delighted to form unique stories and read them aloud to a captive family audience!