Explain To Your Kid How They Can Express Themselves Verbally
Teaching kids how to express themselves is one of the most important skills you can give them. If your child is lagging in expressing what he wants, try to talk to him and explain how he should express what he wants. This is the age where a child’s brain starts rapid development and kids are very receptive to learning new things. You need to have patience to encourage it.
1. You can teach your kid to express himself through arts. Use art forms to give your kid a healthy way to express emotions like sadness, anger, happiness, etc. Every kid is unique, so look for ways to foster the artistic expressions that is already within them.
2. Listen to your kid to know what interests him and allow him to explore those things. Let him self-direct his activities based on his interests rather than you picking the clubs, camps, and activities for him.
3. Talk about your own feelings and how you express those feelings. What do you do when you get mad? How do people know you are happy? Talk about ways that your child can express his emotions.
4. Respond to your child’s gestures, looks, and sounds. When he gazes at you, make eye contact and talk with him. These immediate and attuned responses tell your child that his communications are important and effective.
5. Invest time with your children by showing him that language is fun but don’t force him to speak. When you talk with him, giver him time to respond.
6. Ways to help your child tell you “no,” “enough,” “all done,” or “stop,” are to offer him his least favourite things. Continue an activity until your child wants to stop. Let your child end the activity.
6. Read a story with your child. Hearing stories develops vocabulary and sense of structure. Ask you child how the character might be feeling and wonder together what will happen next.
7. Try to narrate what you do as you go through your daily routines. This helps your child connect words with objects and actions. For example- Here we go into the bathtub. Your arms, legs and tummy are getting all wet, etc.