India’s first data driven social platform to enhance child growth and development during the critical stage of child development from birth date till 5 years!
When Dietary Supplements is Needed?
Dietary supplements are needed when your child gets inadequate nutrients from his daily diet. However, taking supplements can provide additional nutrients when your kid’s diet is lacking. This is common among small children who are fussy eaters. It is always advisable to consult the doctor and find out the deficiency. As a parent, look for signs that may indicate a potential nutritional deficiency, and if there's indeed one in your child, you need to know the following:
1. You can use age-appropriate supplements to support their children's intakes of vital nutrients such as vitamins A, C, and D, and omega 3 essential fatty acids, while instilling healthy eating habits and teaching them about good nutrition.
2. Inadequate intake of vitamin D and decreased exposure to sunlight may cause disease like rickets, so particular vitamins and supplements may be recommended as childhood is a critical time for growth and development.
3. Your little one may need some vitamin and/or mineral supplementation if your family’s dietary practices limit the food groups available to your child For example a vegan household will strict his child’s diet with no animal products such as eggs, fish etc. There are critical vitamins and minerals which can ne deficient in a vegan diet, particularly vitamin B12, zinc, riboflavin and vitamin A.
4. Most kids get the required nutrients they need from their diet, however if your kiddo’s diet includes large quantities of milk then it may lead to iron deficiency as the child will be less interested in other foods, some of which are potential sources of iron.
5. If your child has a delay in physical and developmental growth or has certain chronic disease or food allergies, then a multivitamin might be helpful and recommended for your child.