Aloo bonda is a South Indian food item usually eaten as snacks. Aloo bonda is made using potatoes, which are a rich source of potassium, dietary fibre, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and magnesium and hence are very healthy.
Ingredients: 1 cup besan, ¼ cup rice flour, ½ cup water, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp chilli powder, a pinch of hing, a pinch of baking soda, salt, 4-5 medium sized onion chopped, 2 green chillies finely chopped, 12-15 curry leaves, 2 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of hing, 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp lemon juice, 1 ½ tsp urad dal, oil and salt.
1. In a bowl, mix the besan, rice flour, water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, hing, baking soda and salt and prepare a thick batter. Set aside.
2. Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker till they are soft. Peel and mash them and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the urad dal and sauté till they are golden.
4. Next add the onions and sauté till they are translucent. Add the ginger –garlic paste, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Put turmeric powder, hing and salt into the pan and stir. Add the chopped coriander leaves.
6. To this mixture, add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Add lemon juice and salt.
7. Let the mixture cool, roll out small balls from the mixture.
8. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Dip the potato balls in the besan batter and drop them into the pan when the oil is medium hot.
9. Deep fry and scoop out.
Serve with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup. Easy to cook, you must try out this recipe and cook this delicious snack item today!