Aloo choliya is a made using potatoes and green chick peas. Green chick peas are an excellent source of folate, antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, protein, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium and several phytonutrients, which are essential for the good health.
Ingredients: 1 cup fresh green chickpeas, 1 large potato peeled and diced, 1 medium onion chopped, 1 large tomato chopped, 3-4 garlic cloves chopped, ½ inch ginger chopped, 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of hing, ¼ tsp each of turmeric and chilli powders, ½ tsp garam masala powder, 2 cups water, 2 tbsp. oil, coriander leaves, salt.
1. Rinse the choliya in water, drain and set aside.
2. In a mixer jar, take the chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger and blend into a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter the cumin seeds.
4. Add the paste you made and cook till you can see the oil separating from the masala.
5. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté.
6. Add the chickpeas and stir. Add water and when the water starts bubbling, close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till you get 2-3 whistles.
7. When the cooker has cooled down, remove the lid and add the potatoes. Close the lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes on low flame.
8. Let the cooker cool. Remove the lid and sprinkle garam masala and stir well.
9. Remove the curry into a bowl, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with roti or rice.
Simple and easy to make, Aloo Choliya is a dish that you can serve for lunch or dinner. So get prepping and use this recipe to prepare a delicious meal today!