Aloo palak is a North Indian dish which combines the goodness of potatoes and spinach and hence is highly nutritious. This dish is tasty and its ingredients together provide essential nutrients such as Vitamin C, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, iron, calcium, Vitamin B6, magnesium and Vitamin A.
Ingredients: 1 bunch palak, 3 potatoes, 1 onion chopped, 1 tomato chopped, 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 green chillies chopped, 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of hing, ½ tsp garam masala, 1 ½ tbsp. besan, 1 cup of water, 2 tbsp. oil, ½ tsp. crushed kasuri methi, salt, few ginger juliennes.
1. Blanch the palak in salted warm water. Drain and blend in a mixer into a smooth puree. Set aside.
2. Chop the potatoes and cook them in a pressure cooker. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry all the whole spices. Add the chopped onions and cook till they are translucent.
4. Next add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till it loses its raw smell. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it is pulpy.
5. Sprinkle in spice powders and hing and sauté for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the palak puree, season with salt and stir well.
7. Mix besan with 3-4 tbsp of water to form a smooth paste. Add this to the palak gravy and simmer till the palak gets cooked.
8. Add the cooked potatoes and simmer for a couple of minutes, thus allowing the gravy to thicken.
9. Sprinkle the kasuri methi and garnish with ginger juliennes before serving.
Aloo palak is ready and can be served with rotis or rice. So try out this recipe today and treat to a delicious and nutritious meal today!