Baby Potato Biriyani
Potatoes are counted amongst the world’s healthiest foods because they are a store house of essential nutrients and minerals which are beneficial to the body. Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C, iron, Vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium, protein, dietary fibre and potassium. Baby potato biriyani is a delicious recipe which will not only win your heart, but also provide with a lot of nutrition.
Ingredients: 1 cup biriyani rice, 1 ½ cups of water, 1 cup thinly sliced onions, 22-24 baby potatoes, 4 tbsp oil, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped green chillies, 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 3 tbsp grated coconut, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp fennel seeds, water and salt, 1 large bay leaf, 3-4 cloves, 5-6 black peppercorns, 1 inch cinnamon, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp rose water, a few drops of lemon juice.
1. Cook the rice and fluff it once it is done. Set aside.
2. Peel the potatoes and halve them.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the potatoes till they are crisp and golden on the outside and fully cooked on the inside. Scoop out and set aside.
4. Cook the onions till they turn golden in the pan and set aside.
5. In a jar take chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic cloves, green chillies, chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, grated coconut, cumin seeds and fennel seeds and a little water and grind them into a smooth paste in the mixer.
6. In a pan, heat some oil and add all the whole spices. Saute for a minute and add the paste.
7. Add the spice powders and sauté well.
8. When you see the oil separating from the spices, add salt and pour water. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Switch off the flame.
9. Take the sautéed onions on the gravy and places the fried potatoes in it.
10. Now in a pan, layer the rice and the gravy alternately and place the remaining potatoes and onions on top as garnishing.
11. Add chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice and rose water. Close the lid of the tray. Place the pan on a hot tawa for dum cooking.
12. Cook the biriyani this way for 30-35 minutes and remove.
Serve the biriyani with raita. Had you ever imagined you could cook something so delicious with baby potatoes? So try it out today!