Bananas are a rich source of iron, potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A and magnesium. You can use bananas to make banana appams, a sweet food made in Kerala.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cup of rice flour, ½ cup of jaggery, 1 ½ cup of water, 3 medium bananas mashed, ¼ cup of grated coconut, 2 tsp of ghee, 2 tsp of black sesame seeds, ½ tsp each of cardamom and ginger powders, ¼ tsp of cumin powder, ½ tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of ghee.
1. Melt jaggery in water on the stove. Keep the liquid aside.
2. Add the cardamom, ginger and cumin powders to the mashed bananas and mix well.
3. Heat ghee in a pan and roast the grated coconut in it. Add it to the coconut mixture.
4. Take the rice flour in a bowl and add sesame seeds and mix well. Add the jaggery solution and mashed bananas. Mix well to remove any lumps.
5. Grease the appam maker. Pour the batter into the moulds and cook on medium flame till the appams turn golden.
6. Flip sides till all sides are golden and crisp.
Easy, isn’t it? Try this out today!