French beans poriyal is a South Indian dish which offers you all the nutritional benefits of these beans. French beans are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, potassium, dietary fibre, iron, magnesium etc.
Ingredients: 250 gms of French beans, ¾ tsp of mustard seeds, ¾ tsp of urad dal, 2 dry red chillies, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of hing, 1 sprig of curry leaves, 2-3 tbsp of grated coconut, half a cup of water, 1 tbsp oil, salt.
1. Rinse and chop the beans and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Wait till the mustard seeds crackle and the urad dal turns maroonish.
3. Add turmeric powder, hing, curry leaves and dry red chillies into the pan and stir well.
4. When the red chillies turn dark in colour, add the chopped beans. Add water and salt, stir and cover the pan with a lid.
5. Cook on low flame for about 8-10 minutes. Remove the lid, check if the beans have become tender and then add grated coconut.
6. Mix and switch off the flame.
Beans poriyal is ready! It serves as an excellent side dish if you are planning a South Indian treat. So go on and try out this recipe today!