Bengali Dum Aloo
Bengali dum aloo is a popular dish which is usually served with pooris, also called luchis. This dish is highly nutritional as it is made using potatoes which are rich in potassium, carbohydrate, dietary fibre, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium,iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 5-6 medium potatoes, 4 tbsp. mustard oil, 1 bay leaf, ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 cup water, ½ tsp sugar, 2 medium onions, ½ inch ginger, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1 cup tomato puree, 2 inch cinnamon, 3-4 cloves, 1 tsp ghee.
1. Parboil the potatoes in a pressure cooker. When they are done, peel and chop them and set them aside.
2. Make a paste using the onion, garlic and ginger and set aside.
3. Grind the cloves and cinnamon into a fine powder and set aside.
4. Sprinkle turmeric on the cooked potatoes and mix well. Heat mustard oil in a kadhai and cook the potatoes till they are crisp and golden. Set aside.
5. In the same oil, add a bay leaf. Saute till you can smell the aroma. Add the onion-ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell leaves.
6. Next, add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and sugar and mix well. Saute till you can see the oil separating from the masala.
7. Add the potatoes and coat them well in the masala. Add a cup of water and the ground cinnamon and clove powder.
8. Simmer the gravy till it becomes thick. Add a tsp of ghee before serving the aloo dum. Serve with pooris or rotis.
Bengali dishes are par excellence when it comes to taste. So go ahead and give it a try!