Besan Bhindi is a Rajasthani dish which is made using besan and okra or bhindi. Besides being a delight to the palate, this dish is highly nutritious as bhindi or okra is a rich source of potassium, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 200-250 gms bhindi, 4 tbsp. besan, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp amchur powder, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, ½ tbsp. water, 3 tbsp. oil, ½ tbsp. ghee, salt, ½ inch ginger julienned, ½ tbsp. lemon juice, ½ tsp sugar, chopped coriander leaves.
1. In a bowl, mix the ginger juliennes, sugar, lemon juice and water. Set aside for an hour.
2. Clean the okra, pat dry and cut off the crowns and tails.
3. Make three slits in the bhindi and sauté them in oil till they are crispy and brown.
4. Remove from the pan, drain excess oil and set oil.
5. Add the besan into the pan and sauté till you can see the fat releasing from the sides.
6. Add the bhindi to the besan and sauté in a manner so that the bhindi is completely coated with the besan.
7. Add the spice powders and salt and mix well.
8. Add all the spice powders and mix well. Sprinkle the garam masala on top and stir well.
9. Remove the sautéed bhindi and garnish it with the ginger-sugar solution you had prepared earlier.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with hot chapattis or rotis.
Easy to prepare, besan bhindi is nutritious and extremely healthy. Give this recipe a try today.