Carrots are believed to be reservoirs of essential nutrients. They are rich in dietary fibre, potassium, sodium, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium and iron and hence are vital for health and development. You can include carrots into your diet by using this recipe that allows you to make a delicious dish.
Ingredients: 3 cups of cooked rice, 1 cup of water, ½ cup grated carrots, ½ tsp mustard seeds, 1 bay leaf, ½ inch cinnamon, 1-2 green cardamoms, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 green chilli chopped, 5-6 curry leaves, a pinch of hing, 1 ½ tbsp. oil, salt, ¼ cup of sliced onions, 10-12 cashew nuts, 10-12 raisins, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions, cashew nuts, and raisins. Saute till they turn golden. Scoop out and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add come mustard seeds. Wait till they crackle. Add the whole spices and sauté for a minute.
3. Next add the chopped chillies, curry leaves, hing and sauté.
4. Add the grated carrots to this. Saute for about 3-4 minutes to allow the carrots to cook and add salt.
5. Add the cooked rice to the rest of the ingredients in the pan. Mix and switch off the flame.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sautéed onions, cashews and raisins and serve.
You can serve this rice with raita or vegetable curry.