Chickpeas are a great source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, magnesium, Vitamin B6, iron, calcium, Vitamin C and Vitamin A. Use this recipe to cook Chana Sundal, a delicious and healthy South Indian side dish.
Ingredients: 1 cup dried white chickpeas, 1 tsp black mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal, a pinch of hing, 2 dry red chillies, 10-12 curry leaves, 3 tbsp. grated coconut, salt.
1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight. Next morning, drain the water and cook the peas with 4 cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Wait till the mustard seeds splutter and the dal turns golden.
3. Add hing, red chillies and curry leaves and fry for about 10 seconds.
4. Next add the cooked chickpeas and mix with the rest of the ingredients well. Cook on low flame for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and mix well.
5. Add the grated coconut, mix well and switch off the flame.
Chana sundal serves as a healthy and delicious snack. Try out this recipe today and serve a healthy snack!