Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
Cakes are easy to make and a beautiful dessert for your little one. This is very high in protein and vitamins and your child can definitely have it in the weekends.
Ingredients: 2 cups granulated sugar, 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup boiling water, 1 batch peanut butter frosting.
For the Chocolate Frosting: 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 and 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup evaporated milk or regular milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 12 mini reese's peanut butter cups for topping on cake, optional.
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water (your batter will be very thin--that's OK!). Pour the batter into cake pans.
3. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
4. Once the cakes have cooled, use a sharp serrated knife to torte each 9'' cake--(cut each cake evenly in half, horizontally, so that you end up with four, thin, 9'' cake pieces!)
5. Place your first cake layer on your cake serving plate. Spread 1/3 of the peanut butter frosting on top of that cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layers, adding a layer of peanut butter frosting between each layer of cake.
For the chocolate frosting:
1. Add melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Stir in cocoa powder.
2. Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and beat with electric mixers until smooth.
3. Add additional powdered sugar to thicken frosting or milk to thin it, as needed. Use a spatula or knife to spread the frosting evenly over the outside of the cake.
4. Pipe swirls of chocolate frosting on top and topped with a mini Reese's peanut butter cup. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Treat your little one with delicious mouth watering cake!