Chole is Punjabi dish and is extremely delicious and healthy. Chole are rich in potassium, dietary fibre, dietary fibre, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Here’s how you can make Punjabi chole at home easily.
Ingredients: 1 cup dried white chana, 1 medium onion chopped, 1 medium tomato chopped, ½ tsp ginger garlic paste, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp amchur powder, 2-3 green chillies slit, ¼ tsp ajwain, 2 black cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 3-4 pepper corns, 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, chopped coriander leaves for garnishing, ½ inch ginger julienned, lemon wedges for garnishing.
1. Soak the chana overnight in water. Next morning, drain the water and rinse the chana well. Set aside.
2. Put the chana in a pressure cooker, add salt and cook till you get 18-20 whistles to get a soft, mashable consistency from the chana.
3. In a pan, dry roast all the whole spices till you the aroma. Remove from the pan and grind them in a mixture to get a fine powder.
4. Heat some oil in a pan, add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till it loses its raw smell.
5. Add the chopped onions and sauté till they turn translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they are pulpy.
6. Add the whole spice powder, other spice powders and slit chillies and mix well. In the pan, now add the cooked chole, salt and stir well.
7. Add about 2 cups of water, stir and close the lid of the pan.
8. Cook on low flame for a few minutes, check the consistency. You can mash a few chana grains to make the gravy thicker.
9. Sprinkle the amchur powder on top and let the gravy simmer for a few minutes.
10. Remove from flame and let it cool. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and ginger juliennes and serve with roti or rice.
Go ahead and try out this recipe today!