Coconut Rice is an interesting recipe from South India. It uses coconuts for flavouring plain rice in a delicious way. Coconuts are rich in potassium, dietary fibre, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium and iron and hence are important for growth. Here’s how you can make this dish at home easily.
Ingredients: 1 cup basmati rice, 2 cups of water, 1 ½ tsp of coconut oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tbsp. urad dal, ½ tbsp. chana dal, 10-12 cashewnuts, 2 dry red chillies, a pinch of hing, 1 tsp green chillies chopped, 10-12 curry leaves, 1 ½ cups of grated coconut.
1. Cook the basmati rice and set it aside for cooling.
2. Soak the urad and chana dals in hot water for half an hour. Rinse and set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
4. Next add the urad and chana dals and cashewnuts. Roast till they turn golden in colour.
5. Add in the red chillies, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and hing and sauté for a few minutes.
6. When the red chillies turn dark, add the coconut and sauté till it gets a light brown colour.
7. Add the rice along with salt, sauté and mix well with the rest of the ingredients and switch off the flame.
Serve with a yummy vegetable curry. You can pack this for lunchtime. So why not give it a try today?