Dahi Aloo is a simple and easy to cook dish. It combines the goodness of potatoes and curd and hence is highly beneficial for your health. While potatoes are a great source of proteins and carbohydrates and essential nutients, curd or dahi is rich in potassium, sodium, Vitamin A, calcium, Vitamin B12 and magnesium. Here’s how you can make dahi aloo at home.
Ingredients: 1 cup fresh curd, 2 ½ cups of besan, 1 ½ cups water, 2 large potatoes boiled, 2 tbsp oil, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1/3 cup finely chopped onions, 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 7-8 curry leaves, ¼ tsp each of turmeric and chilli powder, ½ tsp each of cumin and coriander powders, a pinch of hing, salt.
1. Crumble the boiled potatoes and set aside.
2. Take the curd in a bowl and add besan to it. Add a little water to make a smooth batter.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add hing and crackle the cumin seeds. Add onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
4. Next add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till they lose their raw smell. Add the curry leaves and tomatoes in the pan and cook till the tomatoes turn pulpy.
5. Add all the spice powders and stir well.
6. Add the crumbled potatoes and mix well with the spices. Saute for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the curd and besan mix and stir quickly.
8. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes on medium flame till the gravy becomes thick.
9. Add a little water and salt. Stir and check the taste and switch off the flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves before serving. Perfect with rice or rotis!