Bhindi or Okra should be made a part of diet to maintain balanced nutrition. This is because bhindi is rich in dietary fibre, potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Dahi bhindi is a quick and simple recipe.
Ingredients: 250 gms bhindi, 1 onion finely chopped, 2 medium tomatoes, 6-7 whole cashews, ½ cup curd, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 ½ tbsp. besan, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp garam masala, 2 cups water, 2 tbsp cream, oil, salt.
1. Clean the bhindi. Cut off the crown and tail and chop into 1 inch pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped bhindi. Saute till they change colour and are cooked.
3. In a mixer jar, blend the tomatoes and cashews together into a smooth paste and set aside.
4. Heat a little more oil in the earlier pan, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add the chopped onions and sauté till they are translucent.
5. Add the cashew and tomato paste to this and sauté till you see the oil separating from the mixture.
6. Add the besan and mix well with the masala in the pan. Sauté till the raw aroma of besan goes away.
7. Add all the spice powders and sauté for some more time.
8. Take the pan off the flame and add whisked yogurt to it. Use a wired whisk to blend the mixture well.
9. Add the sautéed bhindi and salt and set the pan back on fire again.
10. Cook till you see the oil floating on top of the gravy.
11. Add the cream and simmer for 30 seconds.
12. Remove from flame and serve with roti or naan.
Brilliant use of bhindi,isn’t it? You can easily prepare this dish in no time. So get started right now and surprise with this delicious side dish at dinner tonight!