Curd is highly beneficial for the stomach. It also has several other nutritional benefits as it is rich in sodium, protein, Vitamin A, calcium, magnesium, potassium and Vitamin B12. Dahi vada is a popular snack item and you can easily prepare it at home using this recipe.
Ingredients: 1 cup urad dal, 1 green chilli chopped, ½ inch ginger chopped, 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of hing, ½ tbsp. raisins, 8-9 cashews chopped, salt, 2 ½ cups of yogurt, 1 tsp chaat masala, ½ tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp roasted cumin powder, black salt, tamarind, ½ tsp ginger powder, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ red chilli powder, 7-8 tbsp jaggery, salt, oil, water.
1. Soak the tamarind in water overnight. Next morning, squeeze out the pulp in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and crackle the cumin seeds. Add ginger powder, red chilli, hing into the pan and stir well.
3. Add the tamarind pulp into the pan, stir and mix the powdered jaggery. Let the mixture thicken. Your tamarind chutney is ready.
4. Set is aside for cooling.
5. In order to make the vadas, soak the urad dal in water for 4-5 hours.
6. Later, drain the lentils and add chopped ginger, green chillies, cumin seeds and hing into a wet grinder and blend into a smooth batter.
7. Move the batter into a bowl and whisk gently.
8. Add the cashews and raisins and salt into the batter.
9. Heat oil in a kadhai till it becomes medium hot and pour in the batter.
10. When you see the vadas turning crisp and golden, scoop them out, drain out the excess oil and set aside.
11. After some time place the vadas in water.
12. Meanwhile, whisk the curd so that it becomes smooth.
13. Lay out the vadas, pour the yogurt on top, sprinkle red chilli powder, chaat masala and black salt.
14. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Perfect for an evening snack, isn’t it? So try out this recipe today!