Dal Bukhara is a North Indian side dish made from urad dal. Urad dal is a great source of potassium, dietary fibre, protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium and hence this dish is highly nutritional. Here’s how you can make this dish at home easily.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups of urad dal, 3 medium tomatoes chopped, 2 tsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp garam masala, 6-7 tbsp. butter, 7-8 tbsp. low fat cream, ½ inch ginger julienned for garnishing, 1 tbsp. cream for garnishing, salt.
1. Soak the lentils overnight. Next morning, drain the water and pressure cook the lentils for about 20 minutes on medium flame.
2. Boil the tomatoes and puree them. Set aside.
3. When the pressure cooker has cooled down, remove the lid and add the ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, chilli powder, butter, cream and salt into it. Add about 1 ½ cups of water, stir well and let it simmer for about 1.5 hours.
4. Keep stirring often to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Also squash a few lentils to thicken the dal.
5. Once the dal has thickened, check the taste and remove from the flame.
6. Garnish with cream and ginger juliennes and serve with roti, naan or paratha.
Quick and easy to prepare, Dal Bukhara is as nutritious as it is delicious. So treat to a healthy and delightful lunch or dinner by preparing this dish using this recipe today!