Dal khichdi is an easy to cook, easily digestible and highly nutritious dish. You can quickly prepare it at home using moong dal, which is a rich source of B Vitamins, zinc, copper, folate, magnesium, potassium, manganese, protein, dietary fibre, etc.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp. ghee, ½ tsp. cumin, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp. grated ginger, 1 onion sliced, ½ cup chopped tomato, ½ tsp chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 green chilli slit, salt, ¾ cup rice, ¾ cup moong dal, 2 ½ cups water.
1. Soak the rice and dal for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds. Follow this with grated ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add onions, sauté till translucent and add the spice powders. Saute.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they are pulpy.
5. Add the rice and dal, pour water and cook till you get 1 whistle.
Dal khichdi is ready! Cook this dish at home today and serve it with pickle or kadhi.