Looking for a good dal recipe? Dal makhni is the quintessential accompaniment for vegetarian meals. Not only is it delicious, but is also highly nutritious. This dal makhni recipe uses urad dal and rajma, both of which are rich sources of protein. Urad dal is rich in potassium, dietary fibre, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Rajma adds to the nutritional level by providing manganese, phosphorus, Vitamin B1, etc. Here’s how you can make dal makhni easily at home.
Ingredients: ¾ cup of urad dal, ¼ cup rajma, 3 cups of water, 1 medium onion, 1-2 green chillies chopped, 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 cup tomato puree, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, ½ tsp chilli powder, 2-3 pinches of nutmeg powder, 1/3 cup of low fat cream, ½ tsp cream for garnishing, ¼ tsp of kasuri methi, 3 tbsp butter, salt.
1. Soak the urad dal and rajma in water overnight. Next morning, cook them in a pressure cooker for about 10 minutes on high flame. Ensure that the dal and rajma have become soft.
2. In a pan, heat the butter and add the whole spices. Saute till you get the aroma.
3. Add the onions and sauté till they are golden. Put in the ginger garlic paste and sauté till the paste loses its raw smell.
4. Add the chopped chillies and stir for a minute.
5. Add the tomato puree and stir again. Now add chilli powder and a pinch of nutmeg powder.
6. Mix till you see oil separating from the mixture. Add the dal and rajma along with a cup of water and simmer for some time.
7. Cook the dal makhni uncovered for some time and allow it to thicken.
8. When the gravy is thick, add the cream and stir. Switch off the flame.
9. Top with kasuri methi, stir and set aside.
Serve hot with a topping of fresh cream.