Healthy Oats Pongal
This healthy dish will give your sweetie pie a rich dose of protein and fibre. It's a very simple and interesting way of preparing a power packed meal at home.
(Measuring cup used, 1 cup=250ml). 1 cup moong dal (slightly fried), 2 cups white oats, ¼ tsp of turmeric, 4 cups of water.
For tadka- 2 tsp oil, ¼ tsp mustard, ¼ tsp crushed black pepper, ½ tsp cumin seeds/ jeera, 1 green chilli, pinch of asafoetida/hing, few curry leaves.
For garnishing- 2 to 3 tsp of pure cow ghee, Salt as required
1. Take moong dal in a saucepan and fry until golden brown. Keep aside.
2. Mix oats and the fried moong dal together in a bowl and add 4 cups of water to it. Add turmeric and salt to the mixture and place the bowl in a pressure cooker.
3. Cook for 4 whistles and keep aside.
4. In a saucepan, add oil and all the ingredients for tadka and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add the cooked dal and oats to the tadka and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. (Make sure the cooked oats is not very thick. Let it be a little watery, as it will be easy for your little one to eat).
6. Finally add pure cow ghee and give a gentle stir.
7. Transfer into a serving bowl.
8. Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
Tasty oats pongal! is ready to treat !