Kanda Batata Poha
Poha is a commonly made breakfast item. Not only is it easy to cook, but is also highly nutritional as poha or flattened rice is a rich source of carbohydrates, dietary fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium and iron.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups of thick poha, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 green chillies chopped, 2 tbsp. peanuts, 1 potato chopped, 1 onion chopped, ¾ tsp mustard seeds, ¾ tsp cumin seeds, 8-9 curry leaves, 1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves, 2 ½ tbsp. oil, sugar and salt.
1. Rinse the poha under running water once. Drain and spread out the poha on a plate so that it can dry.
2. Chop the potatoes and fry them in a little oil. When done, remove the excess oil and set aside.
3. Sprinkle the turmeric powder, salt and sugar into the poha, mix well and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and add the chopped onions.
5. Saute till the onions have turned translucent. Add the potatoes, chopped chillies, curry leaves and roasted peanuts. Sauté for a minute.
6. Add the poha and mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the poha.
7. Switch of the flame, stir and garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Kanda batata poha is a common breakfast item in most Maharashtrian homes. You can also prepare this dish at home easily by following this recipe.