Saffron is considered to be one of the most expensive spices as it is extracted with much difficulty and is a reservoir of essential nutrients. Saffron is a rich source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Kesar rice is nothing but rice cooked in saffron, which means this dish has loads to offer in terms of nutrition.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups basmati rice, 2-3 pinches of saffron, ¾ tsp shah jeera, 2 green cardamoms, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 strand of mace, 3 ½ cups of water, a pinch of turmeric, 1 ½ tbsp. ghee, a few coriander leaves for garnishing, salt.
1. Rinse the rice till it is clear of starch. Soak it in water for half an hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and toss in all the whole spices.
3. Add the rice and sauté well with the spices. Add crushed saffron and turmeric powder to the rice.
4. Pour in water, add salt and close the lid of the pan for the rice to cook.
5. When the rice is done, fluff it with a fork, garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
So use this recipe to treat to a delicious meal today!