Khatti Meethi Dal
Arhar dal or pigeon pea is extremely nutritious and healthy. It is a rich source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Khatti Meethi dal is made using this wonderful lentil and is delicious and healthy.
Ingredients: ¾ cup arhar dal, 1 tsp ginger green chilli paste, 2 tbsp. peanuts, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbsp. grated jaggery, 3-4 dried kokums, 1 ½ tbsp. ghee, ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp. sabut methi, 2-3 dry red chillies, 6-7 curry leaves, a pinch of hing, 3-4 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, water and salt.
1. Rinse and cook the dal in a pressure cook along with ginger chilli paste, turmeric powder and peanuts and 2 ½ cups of water for 7-8 minutes on medium flame.
2. Once the dal is soft and mushy, add the grated jaggery, kokums and salt into the cooker and simmer for about 10 minutes on low flame.
3. Heat some oil in a small pan separately and crackle the mustard seeds. After this add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and sauté till they have browned. Next, add in the curry leaves, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves and hing and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Pour this tempering into the pressure cooker containing the dal and simmer the dal for 5-6 minutes more.
5. Switch off the flame, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Serve the dal with rice. This khatti meethi dal is sure to become a favourite. So try it out today!