Lip Smacking Vada using urad dhal
You can prepare a refreshing snack item at home. Medu vada with coconut chutney and sambar will be lip-smacking for your child. Enjoy doing with the below recipe.
Ingredients: 1 cup urad dal/black gram, ¼ tsp crushed black pepper, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 green chilli, pinch of asafoetida, 2-3 tbsp water, salt as required, oil for deep frying.
1. Rinse the urad dal in water for a couple of hours and Soak them in enough water overnight or for atleast 4-5 hours. Drain well and take all the lentils in the grinder jar.
2. Add 1 tbsp water and grind the lentils for a few minutes. Switch off the grinder and scrape the sides of the jar with a spatula and add the unground lentils which stick to the sides of the jar inside the jar. Add 1 tbsp water and stir with the spatula.
3. Grind again in intervals scraping and stirring the batter a few times. If you find difficulty in grinding the batter, you can add ½ or 1 tbsp water more. When the batter has become smooth, fluffy and soft, stop grinding. There should be no grainy texture in the batter. it should feel very smooth on your fingers.
4. Add the crushed black pepper, cumin, green chillies, asafoetida and salt to the ground batter. Mix well and keep aside. Heat oil in a kadai or pan for deep frying the vadas.
5. Shape the medu vada as explained in the step by step pic above. Fry them in medium hot oil till golden and crisp. Drain vadas on paper napkins and serve the medu vada hot with coconut chutney and sambar.