Kadhi is a great dish, not only because it is tasty but also because it is great for the stomach and the digestive system. It is made from besan which is a rich source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Here’s how you can make Maharashtrian Kadhi for your little one at home.
Ingredients: 1 cup curd, 2 cups water, 2 ½ tbsp. besan, ½ tsp ginger paste, 2 green chillies slit, ½ tsp each of mustard and cumin seeds, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 2 pinches of hing, 5-6 curry leaves, 1 tbsp. oil, chopped coriander leaves, salt.
1. In a mixing bowl, blend the curd, water and besan well using a wired whisk. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Wait till they crackle and add then add the cumin seeds.
3. Once the cumin seeds have spluttered too, add the green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and stir well. Sauté for a couple of minutes and then add turmeric powder and hing. Stir well.
4. Add the yogurt-gram flour into the pan and bring the gravy to a simmer. Stir at intervals and cook till the gravy becomes thick. Add salt and sugar as per taste and stir well. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves, mix and switch off the stove. Serve with rice.
Rice with kadhi is delicious and healthy and is great for lunch or dinner. So prepare a healthy meal for your child today by trying out this recipe.