Masala vada is a popular snack item in South India. It is made from chana dal or chick pea, which is a high source of potassium, sodium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, proteins, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium and Vitamin B6. Using this recipe, you can easily prepare Masala Vadas at home for snack time.
Ingredients: ½ cup chana dal, 1 dry red chilli, 1 tsp fennel seeds, ½ tsp coriander seeds, ¼ tsp black pepper, ¼ cup chopped onions, 1 tsp chopped green chillies, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 9-10 curry leaves, 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, a pinch of hing, salt, oil and water.
1. Soak the chana dal in hot water for an hour. Drain the water and set aside.
2. Blend the chana dal with the whole spices in a mixer jar to get a smooth paste.
3. When the batter is ready add the onions, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves, hing and salt and mix well.
4. Shape the vadas from the batter.
5. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough, slip in the vadas one by one.
6. Fry till they are golden and crisp.
Serve with delicious coconut chutney. Snack time should no more be a problem for you with this recipe. So why not try it out today?