With the winters going on, fresh green peas are readily available in the market. Green peas are not only versatile in terms of culinary demands, but also come loaded with nutritional benefits. Green peas are rich in potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibres, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Matar Masala is an easy to cook recipe which can be prepared at home in a matter of no time.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 10-12 cashews, 1 cup green peas, 1 – 1 ½ tsp of ginger+chilli paste, 2 tbsp of fresh curd, 2 tbsp of dairy whitener, a generous pinch of hing, ½ tsp of turmeric powder, ¾ tsp of chilli powder, 1 tsp of cumin powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder, ½ tsp of kasuri methi, 1 cup of water, 3 tbsp oil, salt, 1 tej patta, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 1-2 single strands of mace.
1. Soak the cashews in hot water for about half an hour. Once done, blend them in a jar with chopped tomatoes to make a smooth puree.
2. Cook the peas in a pressure cooker till they are soft. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the whole spices. Saute till you can smell their fragrance. Add the ginger-green chilli paste and sauté till the raw smell goes away.
4. Add the cashew tomato paste and cook for a few minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk the curd into a smooth consistency and set aside.
6. Add the spice powders to the mixture in the pan and stir well. Lower the flame and add the curd.
7. Stir frequently to avoid the curd from curdling. Add water and keep stirring. Add the cooked peas and salt and stir.
8. Add milk powder and mix well. Simmer on low to medium flame for a few minutes.
9. Top off with kasuri methi, stir for a couple of minutes. Remove from flame.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with rice or roti. Try this recipe out today!