Green peas are always readily available. Not only are they delicious but also highly nutritional as they are a rich source of dietary fiber, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, iron, calcium, Vitamin B6, magnesium, and potassium. Use this recipe to derive all the nutritional benefits of green peas.
Ingredients: 250 gms of paneer, 1 cup peas, 1 ½ cups of water, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ turmeric powder, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp cream, ½ tsp sugar, 2 ½ tbsp. oil, a few coriander leaves, salt, ¾ cup chopped tomatoes, ½ cup chopped onions, 2 green chillies chopped, ½ inch ginger chopped, 2-3 garlic cloves chopped, 2 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves, 10-12 whole cashews chopped, 4-5 peppercorns, 2-3 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, 1 tsp. coriander seeds.
1. Put the chopped tomatoes, onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, cashews, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds in a mixer jar and grind into a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the cumin seeds. Add the ground masala and sauté for about 10-12 minutes on medium flame till the oil separates from the masala.
3. Add the spice powders and mix well with the sautéed paste.
4. Add the peas and stir again. Follow this with water and salt. Stir and cover the lid of the pan to allow the peas to cook.
5. Remove the lid and add the paneer cubes and cook for a couple of minutes on low flame.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice, roti or naan.
Yummy matar paneer is ready!