Matar Usal is a Maharashtrian dish which is extremely tasty and is quite easy to prepare. This dish is also highly nutritional as it is made using green peas, which are a rich source of potassium, carbohydrate, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 2 cups green peas, ½ tsp powdered jaggery, 2 tsp black masala, 1 tsp lemon juice, ½ tsp mustard seeds, 1/3 tsp turmeric powder, 2 pinches of hing, 3 tbsp. grated coconut, 2 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves, 2 green chillies chopped, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 inch ginger chopped, water, oil and salt.
1. Heat oil in a pan and crackle the mustard seeds. Add turmeric powder and hing and sauté for a few seconds.
2. Add the peas, cover the lid of the pan and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame.
3. Meanwhile, grind the grated coconut along with green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger, cumin seeds with a little water into a smooth paste.
4. Once the peas are done, add the coconut paste and season with jaggery. Stir well and add water to the mixture.
5. Simmer the gravy till the peas have cooked and are soft.
6. Add the goda masala and stir. You may want to remove the lid and let the gravy thicken as this recipe is semi dry.
7. Simmer for a few more minutes and remove from flame. Add a little lemon juice, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut and serve with rice or chapattis.
Matar Usal is a great side dish which will not only win your heart with its taste, but also provides with a lot of nutrition. So go ahead and try out this recipe today!