Methi Malai Paneer
Methi Malai Paneer is a Punjabi dish which offers soft cottage cheese cubes in a creamy, slightly sweet gravy with traces of bitterness from methi leaves. Not only is this dish a delight to the tastebuds, but offers a load of health benefits. While paneer of cottage cheese is rich in calcium, methi leaves offer sodium, potassium, dietary fibre, iron, Vitamin B6, magnesium, etc.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups of chopped onions, ¼ cup of chopped tomatoes, 2 tsp of chopped ginger, 1 tsp of chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped green chillies, 2 tbsp of chopped cashews, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 3 tbsp oil, 200-250 gm of paneer chopped into cubes, 1 cup of fresh methi leaves, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder, 1 cup of water, ¼ cup of fresh cream, salt to taste.
1. Rinse and clean the methi leaves. Separate the leaves from the stalks and chop them finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Wait till they crackle.
3. Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent. Add the chopped ginger, garlic, chillies and chopped cashewnuts.
4. After the ginger and garlic lose their raw smell, add the tomatoes and sauté till the oil leaves the mixture.
5. Remove from flame and let it cool. Then blend in a mixer with a little water to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
6. Heat some more oil in the same pan and add the chopped methi leaves. Saute till the leaves welt.
7. Add the spice powders except garam masala and mix well with the methi leaves. Next pour in the onion-tomato puree into the pan and stir well.
8. Add a little salt and keep stirring to prevent the leaves from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
9. Pour in fresh cream and add the paneer cubes. Sprinkle some garam masala and cook on low flame for a couple of minutes.
10. Remove from flame and garnish with grated paneer or chopped coriander leaves.
This dish goes well with rotis and rice.