Most people these days have oats for breakfast in the morning, which is a very healthy habit. However, if you are bored of the same dish being served everyday and you do not wish to let him go off the oats habit, here is a recipe that allows you to use oats but in a more delicious and healthy way. Oats are rich in dietary fibre, potassium, iron, calcium, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 1 cup quick cooking oats, ½ cup sooji, ½ cup fresh curd, 1 cup water, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ cup grated carrot, 3 tsp chopped coriander leaves, salt, ½ tbsp. oil, ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, 1 tsp chana dal, a pinch of hing, ½ tsp crushed black pepper, 1 tsp chopped green chillies, 1 tsp chopped curry leaves, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 8-10 cashewnuts chopped, 2 tbsp coconut oil.
1. Peel and chop the vegetables. You can steam them if you want to and set aside.
2. Powder the oats using a mixer and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add chana and urad dals and sauté till they turn golden.
4. Add ginger, chillies, pepper powder, cumin seeds, curry leaves into the pan and sauté and hing and sauté.
5. Add the sooji in this and sauté for a couple of minutes. Remove from the stove and let it rest for 5 minutes
6. Now add the vegetables and mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
7. Add curd and mix well. Add a cup of water to get a batter with medium consistency.
8. Grease the idli moulds of your idli cooker and keep it ready.
9. After the batter has rested for some time, add salt and baking soda. Stir well and quickly after adding the soda.
10. Pour the batter into the idli moulds and cook in the steamer for 10-12 minutes.
Delicious oats idlis are ready. Serve with a tasty coconut chutney or pickle.