Oranges are available in plenty during the winters. You can easily extract the juice of these fruits and prepare a squash at home, instead of buying them from retail stores. Oranges are rich sources of potassium, dietary fibre, carbohydrates, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 2 ½ kgs of oranges, 1 kg sugar, 1 litre water, 3-4 tbsp. lemon juice, ¾ tsp potassium metabisulphite, 2 pinches of saffron.
1. Heat water in a pan and add the sugar in it. Stir till the sugar dissolves completely. Add lemon juice and stir. Let the sugar solution come to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer for about 5 minutes till the solution becomes thick.
2. Filter the solution and set aside for cooling.
3. Peel and chop the oranges. Put them in a blender and extract all the juice. Pass the juice through a sieve and collect the juice in a jar.
4. Add the sugar solution to it and stir.
5. Take ¼ tsp of potassium metabisulphite and dissolve it completely in water.
6. Mix this with the orange juice and stir well.
7. Pour the orange squash into a sterilised jar.
8. Mix ¼ of the squash with water before serving.
Refreshing orange squash is ready. Serve it along with breakfast or as a refresher in the evening. So go ahead and try it out today!