Palak or spinach is a rich source of sodium, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron, calcium, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Palak biriyani is a great dish as it is filling, tasty and highly nutrition. Furthermore, it is quite easy to prepare and hardly takes any time.
Ingredients: 2 cups basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes, 1 onion sliced, 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste, 1 tomato chopped, 4 ½ cups of water, 3 tbsp. oil, fried cashews, salt, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 star anise, 2 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 2-3 cloves, 1 bay leaf, a pinch of mace, ¼ tsp each of chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder; ½ tsp. cumin seeds, 1 tsp. fennel, 1 tsp coriander powder, a pinch of hing, 1 medium bunch of spinach, ½ cup mint leaves, ½ cup coriander leaves, 2 green chillies chopped, 5-6 almonds.
1. Grind the spinach leaves, chillies, mint and coriander leaves into a smooth paste and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and roast the whole spices. Add the chopped onions and sauté till they are translucent.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a few minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till they are soft and pulpy.
4. Add the spice powders and mix well. Add the spinach puree and sauté for minutes.
5. Add the soaked rice and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Pour water and close the lid.
6. Add salt and cook till the rice is done.
7. Once done, remove the lid and fluff the rice.
8. Garnish with fried onions and cashews and serve.
Try out this recipe today and serve it for lunch or dinner.