Palak khichdi is made using spinach or palak, which is a reservoir of essential nutrients such as potassium, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. These essential nutrients are extremely important a wholesome diet. Palak khichdi is a recipe that helps you cook a filling and nutritious meal.
Ingredients: 2 cups chopped palak, 1/3 cup raw peanuts, ½ cup moong dal, ½ cup basmati rice, 1 onion chopped, 1 tomato chopped, 1 potato chopped, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamoms, ½ tsp shah jeera, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 green chilli chopped, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of hing, salt and oil.
1. Rinse the dal and rice and soak in water for half an hour.
2. Blanch the spinach leaves in hot water. Rinse in cold water and blend in a mixer into a smooth puree. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add shah jeera, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon. Fry the whole spices till they are fragrant.
4. Add the chopped onions and sauté till they are golden brown. Next, add the ginger garlic paste and chopped chillies and sauté till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
5. Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn soft and pulpy.
6. Next add the peanuts and potatoes and stir for a couple of minutes.
7. Pour the spinach puree and sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the dal and rice into the cooker and stir well.
8. Pour in 4 cups of water, bring the gravy to a simmer and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook for about 5 minutes on low flame.
9. Remove the lid of the pressure cooker and stir well.
10. Pour a little ghee on top of the khichdi before serving and serve with raita or a veg salad.
Palak khichdi is extremely nutritious and very easily digestible, which makes it a perfect meal.