Paneer Lababdar is a North Indian dish which comes with soft, crumbly cottage cheese cubes in a thick gravy. Cottage cheese has several nutritional benefits as it is a rich source of protein, Vitamin B12, potassium, selenium, Vitamin D, riboflavin, calcium and phosphorus. This recipe is quite simple and can easily be prepared at home.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups of chopped tomatoes, 10-12 cashew nuts, ½ inch of ginger chopped, 2-3 garlic cloves chopped, ½ cup water, 1 green cardamom, 2 cloves, 200 gms of paneer, 2 tbsp of grated paneer, ½ cup finely chopped onions, 1 bay leaf, 2 green chillies slit in half, ½ tsp each of cumin and coriander powders, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, ¼ cup of low fat cream, 1 tsp of Kasuri methi, 3 tbsp butter, ½ tsp sugar, 1 ½ cups of water, salt, 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
1. In a pan, cook the tomatoes, cashew nuts, chopped ginger and garlic, cardamom, cloves and ½ cup of water till the tomatoes are soft and mushy. Remove and set aside for cooling.
2. Once the mixture has cooled, put the ingredients into a jar and blend into a smooth paste.
3. Heat butter in a pan and add a bay leaf. Add onions and sauté till they turn golden.
4. Add the tomato-cashew paste into the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes.
5. Add the spice powders and mix well. Once you see the oil leaving the sides of the mixture, pour water and let it simmer for sometime.
6. Add the slit chillies. Season with salt and sugar and mix.
7. Add the paneer cubes and grated paneer and stir. Simmer for a while.
8. Throw in kasuri methi crushed with garam masala. Simmer for a minute.
9. Take off the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and ginger juliennes.
This dish goes well with rotis and rice. So cook this tasty dish and enjoy the meal!