Poha is a commonly used ingredient for breakfast items in most homes. However, very few know how beneficial it is to the body. Poha is rich in iron, dietary fibre, carbohydrates, etc, which are essential nutrients that maintain good health. So here is a really simple recipe that you can cook at home and serve healthy breakfast.
Ingredients: 2 cups thick poha, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp sugar, salt, 1 medium potato, 1 small carrot, 1/3 cup of green peas, 2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp split chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 10-12 cashews, 1 dried red chilli, 1-2 green chillies chopped, ½ inch ginger chopped, 8-10 curry leaves, a pinch of hing, 1/3 cup finely chopped onions, 2 tbsp grated coconut, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 1 small lime for garnishing.
1. Steam the vegetables and cook them. Chop them and set aside.
2. Rinse the poha gently with water so it is moistened. Add turmeric powder, sugar and salt to the poha and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and throw in the mustard seeds for crackling.
4. Add the dals and cashewnuts and sauté till they turn golden.
5. Now add the onions, ginger, green chillies, red chilli, curry leaves and hing and sauté well till the onions turn translucent.
6. Add the cooked vegetables and mix well with the rest of the ingredients. Keep the flame on low.
7. Add the poha and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for a few minutes and remove from the stove.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
This is an easy breakfast recipe and can be quickly prepared. Doesn’t it seem perfect for those days when you are running out of time but need to prepare a good breakfast? So try this recipe today.