Pooris are best enjoyed with a masala curry made with potatoes. Here’s a recipe that will allow you to make delicious poori masala at home without much effort. Potatoes are highly nutritious as they are rich in potassium, dietary fibre, carbohydrates, proteins, Vitamins, iron, Vitamin B6, calcium and magnesium.
Ingredients: 2 cups boiled potatoes, 1 cup thinly sliced onions, ¼ cup of chopped tomatoes, 2 tsp finely chopped ginger, 2 tsp chopped green chillies, 10-12 curry leaves, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal, a pinch of hing, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 8-10 cashews chopped, 2 tsp besan, 1 ½ cups of water, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 2 tbsp oil, ½ tsp sugar, salt to taste.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add chana dal, cumin seeds and urad dal into it.
2. Saute till the dals turn golden. Now add the chopped ginger, chillies and curry leaves.
3. When the ginger loses its raw smell, add the chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden in colour.
4. Then add the cashewnuts and sauté till they are roasted.
5. Add a pinch of hing and turmeric powder to this mixture and stir well.
6. Next add besan and stir well so that it mixes well with the rest of the ingredients.
7. Add the tomatoes and cook them till they are soft and squishy.
8. Add water and simmer the gravy for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
9. Add the chopped boiled potatoes to the gravy. Cover and simmer the gravy for another 5 minutes.
10. Add salt and check the tast.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Serve with pooris in the morning to help your child make a healthy start to his day. Quick and easy, this recipe hardly takes any time. So what is holding you back? Serve your child this delicious poori masala by preparing it at home today!