Puran poli is a Maharashtrian sweet dish. It is made using chana dal, which is rich in potassium, dietary fibre, carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 1 cup powdered jaggery, 1 cup chana dal, 3 cups water, 2 tsp ghee, 1 tsp fennel powder, 1 tsp. saunth, ½ tsp cardamom powder, ¼ tsp nutmeg powder, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 tsp. oil, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, water, oil and salt.
1. Soak the chana dal and set aside for half an hour. Drain and cook the chana dal in a pressure cook.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add the fennel powder, saunth, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder. Saute for a few seconds.
3. Mix the chana dal and jaggery and let the mixture cook till it becomes dry.
4. In a bowl, mix the whole wheat flour and salt. Add ghee and water and knead into a soft dough.
5. Pinch out medium sized balls and roll it into small rotis.
6. Place the puran mixture in the cente, pleat the edges and seal the top.
7. Roll out into a full size roti and cook it on a griddle.
8. Cook till you see brown spots on both sides.
Serve with ghee or curd. Try out this recipe today.