Rajma or red kidney beans are a rich source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Here’s an interesting recipe that will provide you with all these essential nutrients and ensure healthy development of body and mind.
Ingredients: 1 ½ tbsp. ghee, ½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste, ¾ cup chopped onions, ¾ cup tomato puree, ½ cup rajma, 1 ½ cups of water, ½ tsp. chilli powder, turmeric powder, 1 tsp. coriander powder, 1/4 tsp. coriander powder, ¼ tsp. cumin powder, a few ginger juliennes, 1 green chilli slit, coriander leaves for garnishing, salt.
1. Soak the rajma for about 10 hours. Cook them in a pressure cook with 2 cups of water till you get 3-4 whistles. Cool and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seeds.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till it loses its raw smell.
4. Add onions, sauté till golden and then add the tomato puree.
5. When the gravy thickens, add the spice powders and salt.
6. When the oil begins to leave the sides of the gravy, add the kidney beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves, stir and serve.
Serve this with rice for lunch or dinner.