Raw Banana Poriyal
Raw bananas are rich in iron, Vitamin B5, fibre and potassium and hence should be included in your diet to keep it nutritious and balanced. Raw banana poriyal is a South Indian dish which is extremely easy to make. Delicious and healthy at the same time, this dish can be served with rice or chapattis.
Ingredients: 3 medium raw bananas, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1-2 dry red chillies, ½ tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 8-10 curry leaves, a pinch of hing, ¼ cup of water, 3 tbsp grated coconut, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
1. Rinse and chop the raw bananas and set them aside in a bowl of water.
2. Heat some oil in a pan and add urad dal and cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds have spluttered and the urad dal has turned golden, add hing and the curry leaves.
3. Saute for a few minutes and then add the dry red chillies.
4. When the chillies darken in colour, add the chopped bananas and water.
5. Cover the lid and cook till the bananas have softened. Then remove the lid so that all of the remaining water can evaporate.
6. Add salt and mix all the ingredients well once more.
7. Add grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves, mix and remove from flame.
You can now have South Indian style banana poriyal at home with this recipe.