Spicy Akkha Masoor
Akkha Masoor is a Maharashtrian dish, which is not only healthy but also extremely tasty. Akkha Masoor is made using masoor dal, which is rich in proteins, essential amino acids, fiber, folate, Vitamin B1, iron, and potassium. Here’s how you can make Akkha Masoor at home.
Ingredients: ½ cup of masoor dal, 1 cup water for cooking lentils, 1 tbsp sesame seeds, 3 tbsp of grated desiccated coconut, 2 tbsp of peanut oil, 1/3 cup of finely chopped onion, 1 tsp of ginger-garlic paste, ½ cup of chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp of coriander powder, ½ tsp of cumin powder, ½ tsp of garam masala, a pinch of turmeric powder, salt to taste.
1. Rinse the lentils and pressure cook them for 10 minutes on low flame. Remove from flame.
2. Check if the lentils have cooked. They should be separate and not mushy.
3. Dry roast the sesame seeds along with the grated coconut. Mix in a blender and prepare a dry mixture.
4. Heat oil in a small pan and add the onions. Saute till they turn golden, add the ginger garlic paste.
5. When the raw smell of the paste goes, add the tomatoes. Cover and cook for a few minutes on low flame.
6. Add the spice powders and sesame-coconut mixture and mix well.
7. Add the cooked masoor dal along with the water from the pressure cooker. Add salt and cook.
8. Cook till the water has evaporated. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with roti or rice. Easy, isn’t it? Do try it soon!