Spicy And Yummy Mexican Hot Potato
Indulge into the creamy goodness of mashed potatoes along with some tasty veggies with this wholesome meal. This dish is full of protein and carbohydrates because the key ingredients are potatoes and rajma. This dish is packed with vitamins and minerals from carrots and green peas. It is perfect for a filling dinner.
Ingredients: 3-4 large potatoes, 1 cup canned or fresh tomato puree, 1 cup rajma beans cup, 2 whole carrots, green peas- a handful, salt, 2 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1-2 tsp garam masala, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 2 tbsp spring onions, butter as required.
1. Pressure cook the potatoes with the skin on. Cut each potato into halves so that the potatoes cook evenly.
2. After they cook, put the potatoes in cold water and peel the skin off. Using a potato masher, make a smooth mash out of all the potatoes. Make sure that they have no lumps in them. A fork works really well with mashing potatoes as well.
3. Soak rajma in water the previous night and pressure cook the rajma. After cooked, coarsely mash it.
4. Heat a knob of butter in a deep dish. Add paprika powder, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well. To this mixture, add green peas, finely chopped carrots and mix well.
5. Add a whole cup of tomato puree. This adds acidity to the dish which gives a nice tangy zing. Mix well and put a lid on the deep dish. Cook covered in low flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Now, add the rajma mash into the dish and mix well. At this point, add salt to taste. Add the smooth potato mash into the mixture. Using rapid motions, mix all the ingredients really well. Adjust spices based on your taste.
7. Add another knob of butter on the top. Keep the lid closed and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes on low heat.
8. After this, give it a good mix and garnish with finely chopped coriander and spring onions.
Serve this with garlic bread or ghee rice. Enjoy hot!