Tasty Vada Paav
Vada pav is a popular dish in Maharashtra. It is not only tasty but also rich in carbohydrates, proteins and sodium and can also be a very good breakfast or a snack.
Ingredients: 8 pavs, 1 1/2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes, 1 1/2 tbsp grated garlic, 2 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp asafoetida, 6 to 8 curry leaves, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, oil for deep frying
For the outer covering- 3/4 cup gram flour, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of baking soda, 1 tsp oil, salt to taste. For vada pav chutney- 1/3 cup garlic cloves (peeled), 1/4 cup dry coconut (grated), 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp oil.
For the vada fillling-
1) Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
2) Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
3) Remove from the fire and cool.
4) Divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into rounds.
For the outer covering:
1) Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a batter using approximately 1/3 cup of water.
2) Dip each round of the vada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well.
3) Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
For vada pav chutney:
1) Heat oil in a pan add garlic and coconut, saute for 2 to 3 minute over a medium flame.
2) Let the ingredients cool down, mix them well and grind it in a blender till it is a smooth paste.
Assembling of vada pao:
1) Slit the pao from the middle.
2) Apply vada pav chutney on the pav. Keep the vada in the middle.
Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup. If pavs are not available can also be served with the slices of bread or rolls. This can also be a great option for tiffin. Enjoy!