Tasty Vegetable Idlis
White idli dotted with colourful vegetables looks very very attractive. Moreover, it is always served with the coconut chutney that is very healthy and yummy too. It is rich in carbohydrates, sodium, calcium and potassium.
Ingredients: For The Coconut Chutney (makes 3/4 Cup): 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut, 4 tbsp roasted chana dal, 1 tsp roughly chopped ginger, 3 tbsp chopped coriander, 7 to 8 curry leaves, 1 tbsp fresh curds, salt to taste, 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp split black lentils, 3 to 4 curry leaves, 1 small whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces, 1/4 tsp asafoetida.
For The Vegetable Rava Idli: 2 tbsp grated carrot, 2 tbsp boiled and coarsely crushed sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane), 2 tbsp finely chopped french beans, 1 1/4 cups semolina, 3/4 cup curd, salt to taste, 1 1/2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp split black lentils, 1/2 tsp chana dal, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 4 curry leaves. 1/2 tbsp fruit salt
For coconut chutney-
1) Combine the coconut, roasted chana dal, ginger, coriander, curry leaves, curd, salt and 4 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
2) Heat at the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
3) When the seeds crackle, add the split black lentils, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for a minute.
4) Pour this tempering over the coconut mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
For the vegetable rava idli-
1) Combine the curd and 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, whisk well and keep aside.
2) Combine the semolina, curd-water mixture, 3⁄4 tbsp of oil in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
3) Add the carrots, corn, french beans and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
4) Heat the remaining 3⁄4 tbsp of oil in a small pan and add the split black lentils, chana dal and mustard seeds.
5) When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
6) Pour the tempering over the semolina batter and mix well.
7) Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 tbsp of water over it.
8) When the bubbles form, mix gently and pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes.
9) Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
You can prepare the chutney the previous day, or you can just grind the mixture and keep it ready. You can add the tempering just before serving for a fresh touch. To save time on a busy morning, you can prepare the chutney the previous night and refrigerate.