Tomato biriyani is a popular South Indian dish and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Besides being delicious, this dish also has high nutritional value because of the goodness of rice and tomatoes. While rice is rich in Vitamin A, dietary fibre and carbohydrates, tomatoes are a high source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6, magnesium and potassium.
Ingredients: 1 cup of samba rice, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp oil, ¼ cup of thinly sliced onions, 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste, 1 green chilli chopped, 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves, ¼ tsp each of turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder, 1/.2 tsp of coriander powder, 1 medium potato chopped in cubes, 1/3 cup of fresh peas, ½ cup coconut milk, 1.5 inches of cinnamon, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp saunf seeds, 2 strands of mace.
1. Puree the tomatoes in a blender and set aside.
2. Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and add all the whole spices. Wait till they crackle.
4. Next add the onions, ginger garlic paste, coriander leaves, chillies and mint leaves. Stir well.
5. When the onions turn translucent and the ginger garlic paste loses its raw smell add the tomato puree.
6. Add the masala powders and salt and mix well.
7. Sauté for two minutes and then add the soaked rice along with 1 ½ cups of water.
8. Cook on low flame for about 20 minutes after placing the lid on the vessel.
9. Once done, fluff the rice.
Pretty simple, isn’t it? Try it out today!