Tomato dal is an Andhra special and it is prepared with toor dal and tomatoes. It also tastes good with green gram dal and tomato puree.
Ingredients: ½ cup green gram dhal, 2 tomatoes, a pinch of turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp oil, ½ tsp mustard, 1 tsp jeera, 2 tbsp onion chopped, 2 green chillies split lengthwise, few curry leaves, and salt per taste.
1. Cook the green gram with salt and turmeric in a thick bottomed vessel until tender.
2. Add tomatoes in boiling water for five minutes and remove. Allow to cool. Peel and blend into a fine puree.
3. In a wok, heat some oil and add mustard. When it crackles, add jeera and fry for a while.
4. Add chopped onion, green chillies, and a few curry leaves. Fry till the onions become transparent.
5. Add tomato puree along with red chilli powder, and coriander powder.
6. Stir well and add the cooked dal with half teaspoon salt. Mix well.
7. Allow to boil for few seconds and remove.
8. Serve hot with chapatti or rice.