Tomato rice is a South Indian dish which is very fulfilling and nourishing. It is made using tomatoes, which are rich sources of phosphorus, Vitamin E, niacin, folate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, dietary fibre, manganese, potassium, copper, Vitamin K, molybdenum, biotin and Vitamin C.
Ingredients: 2 potatoes cubed, ¼ beetroot cubed, 1 onion thinly sliced, 3 tomatoes chopped, 1-2 green chillies slit, fistful chopped coriander, 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp. chilli powder, ½ tsp. pepper, ¼ tsp. turmeric, 3 tbsp. oil, salt, 1 ½ cups long grain rice, 2 ½ cups water, 1 bay leaf, 1 star anise, 4 green cardamoms, 6 cloves, 2-3 inch cinnamon, few pepper corns, ½ tsp. shah jeera seeds.
1. Heat some oil in a pressure cooker and roast the whole spices.
2. Next add the onions and sauté till they are done. Add the ginger garlic paste, sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, salt and spice powders and fry for a minute.
4. Add water, mix and put the rice in the cooker. Cook on low flame for 5 minutes and switch off.
5. Fluff the rice and serve with raita.
Quick and easy, isn’t it? Serve this delicious dish by preparing it today at home!